Monday, June 3, 2013

First Road Trip...or "When we packed up everything like we were moving..."

Jacob, Avery, and I packed a few (read: nearly the entire house) things to go to Dallas for the weekend.  Jacob took a half day on Friday so we could have some extra time with our families and not feel rushed to get back.

Who would have ever thought that traveling with a tiny little person who is supposed to only need a few simple things like food, clothes, and a place to sleep would end up requiring an entire Tahoe of supplies.

I'm used to packing for a weekend away in about 10 minutes.  Well, 2 hours into packing for this trip, I stopped and thought, "Self, you should write a blog about this when you get home...this is some funny stuff".  So, here we are.  The post about that one time we literally packed the entire house to go out of town for the weekend.

As I went looking for my normal blue Vera Bradley duffle bag to pack my things in, I had the realization that I should probably pull out my big red suitcase.  As in, the big red suitcase that I used to pack nearly 2 weeks worth of clothes in many times in the past.  Avery clearly needs at least 4 outfits per day.  3 days away total equals 20 outfits.  :)  This thought process ran through my head:
"I should pack four of her 6 month size clothes."
 "No I shouldn't, she's barely in 3 month clothes."
 "She's growing so fast though".
"Ok, I'll pack two options in the 6 month size".

"Helping" momma pack.

Normally it takes Jacob and I about 10 minutes to pack for a weekend.....but......this trip we packed in 2 hours.  When it was all said and done, the back of my Tahoe looked like this:

A few things about this: 1.  We don't live out of our car.  2.  I could have packed more.  3.  I spy a dog.  4.  We used everything we packed.

Final inventory of the Tahoe:  1 large red suitcase for mine and Avery's clothes (this probably would have soared past the 50 lbs limit at the airport....us girls need clothing options.), 1 pack-n-play, 1 rock-n-play, 1 play yard, 1 duffle bag for Jacob's clothes, 1 duffle bag for Avery's toys, 1 dog bed, 2 pillows, 2 dog bowls, 1 boppy pillow, 2 cases of formula, and 1 medium sized bag with bottles, medicine, etc.

We learned that Avery travels pretty well.  I sat in the back seat and "entertained" her when she wasn't sleeping (read: 20 minutes total the entire 3 hour trip)

First stop:  Dede's house!  Dede hadn't seen Avery since his surprise trip to Round Rock a few weeks ago.  Of course he keeps up with her daily via Facebook.  :)


Next we went to my parent's house where my great Aunts were still in town from Louisiana.  We all went out to dinner and Avery slept through it all.  We didn't complain.

Snuggling with Dada at GiGi and Granddad's house Saturday morning.


Saturday morning we got up and told Aunt Mary Lou and Aunt Faye goodbye for now and got ready to head to Frisco to see Jacob's side of the family.  Before we made it to Frisco, we had to stop by GiGi's work and say hi to her since she had to leave early and didn't get to spend time with Avery like she wanted to.  Gigi works at a pediatrician's office so we got to weigh Avery and see how much she's gained.  As of 2.5 weeks ago, she was 9lbs 6oz and on Saturday morning she weighed in at a respectable 11 lbs, 6 oz.  2lbs in 2.5 weeks!  Go Avery go!

We made it to Frisco safe and sound and got to hang out with Josh and the boys for a couple of hours before heading to Kaleigh and Kevin's house to celebrate their son, Benton's, first birthday.  Aunt Heather was off being a haus at the Pretty Muddy run so Avery and I were greatly outnumbered.  

Farm themed party and a cow printed smash cake.

Our first set of really good friends in Austin....and then they moved to DFW.  Guess that means we need to move too??  ;)

After the party we went back to Josh and Heather's where Mima and Pops had arrived for dinner.   After dinner Heather and I took a trip to Target for a baby sling.  That's a whole other post in and of itself.  So far, the score with the sling is: Sling: 2; Kristen: 0.

Sunday morning we woke up and went to brunch with Mima and Pops at their new "house" in Flower Mound.  We can't wait for their house to be built and to have private access to Lake Grapevine!  

Southbound 35 Sunday afternoon was not as traffic free as we hoped.  We got to Hillsboro and Jacob noticed a sign that said, "West 17 miles in 70 minutes".  No thank you.  I became the navigator extraordinaire and got us around the 17 miles of traffic via corn lined gravel roads.  Definitely the most scenic route I've taken to Waco in a while.

We made the obligatory stop in Waco to see Aunt Staci and Uncle Chris on campus at Baylor.  It was Avery's first trip to Baylor and we started it right by taking her to Common Grounds!  Aunt Staci and I explained to Avery that this is where we would go to study and just hang out while we went to school there.  I was sure to tell Avery that this is where I would sing on Tuesday nights during open mic nights.  We also pointed out the Collins dorm, where Avery will live in about 18 years and the parking garage she'll park her car in.  Jacob was not so thrilled about the tour.  :)

Discussing Baylor life with Aunt Staci

Loving life at Common Grounds

"This is where you'll come and get coffee with your best friend just like momma did with Aunt Staci!"


Proudest moment of the weekend?? This:
Our first Sic 'Em.  She and Uncle Chris matched perfectly both in clothing and Baylor spirit.

Up next?  A trip to College Station sometime soon!  (Remember, we have to play fair here with college affiliations....)

1 comment:

  1. The first of MANY trips to Waco/Baylor!!! I loved seeing y'all! Kiss that precious baby face for me!

    Love, Aunt Staci :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...